Did you know that for each pound of weight we lose, we reduce four pounds of force from our knees, and as many as six pounds from our hips? This is certainly great motivation for everyone to keep active, regardless of age! Especially for older adults, however, who happen to be susceptible to joint pain from arthritis and other conditions of aging, including an exercise program in the daily routine tends to make a big difference in minimizing pain and maximizing senior joint health.
With approval from the senior’s doctor, Absolute Companion Care, providers of trusted companion care for older adults, recommends the following types of exercises to help senior loved ones maintain healthy joints:
- Start out with a warm-up. Right before exercising, your loved one should always start with gentle bending and stretching moves; for example, reaching up overhead, bending down and touching the toes (or as close as possible without causing discomfort), side bends, and moving the arms in slow, wide circles.
- Swim a lap or two. Swimming is a fantastic low-impact cardio workout, and simply being in the water is incredibly relaxing for both your mind and body, as well. Seek out a senior swim class, or accompany a senior loved one in swimming a few laps at his or her own pace.
- Get in some strength training. Weight lifting can be done at any time and any place and at nearly any fitness level. Resistance bands, hand weights and even bottles of water are great for building upper body strength. Your loved one should start light and slowly progress up to an elevated difficulty level – again, with guidance from the medical professional.
- Take a hike. There’s nothing quite as stimulating and refreshing as going for a walk outdoors, when weather permits. Walking through the neighborhood gives the added benefit of socializing with neighbors on the way; or locate a wooded trail to savor the quiet beauty of nature.
- Try something new. Check with the neighborhood senior center or gym to get a class your loved one might like to try, such as yoga or tai chi. Register for the class together and get the extra benefit of creating some fun new memories with the senior!
At Absolute Companion Care, leaders in home care in Baltimore and the surrounding area, it is always our desire to help seniors enjoy life to the fullest, and also to remain as active and engaged as possible – improving both physical and emotional wellbeing. We’re always readily available to supply transportation and accompaniment to exercise sessions or any other activities of interest. Reach out to us at 410-357-9640 to learn more about services in your area, and take the first step in helping a senior loved one achieve a healthier and happier quality of life!